Immune System Boosting Foods for Seniors
Our immune systems are responsible for keeping us safe and healthy by fighting off infections and diseases caused by invading germs. For seniors, ensuring the continuing good health and function of the immune system is vital. As we increase in age, our appetites tend to shrink and the variety of foods we eat can become less diverse. There are a number of foods that aid and assist the function of the immune system, and one thing seniors and senior caregivers can do is make sure to introduce at least some of them into their meal plans.
- Yogurt is a great choice. It’s soft, easy to digest, and not only is it full of vitamin D, it also contains plenty of good bacteria and cultures to help with gut health. Adding some fresh berries will give you a boost of fiber and antioxidants.
- Green tea. High in antioxidants, it also contains polyphenols that can help ward off influenza.
- Almonds are high in vitamin E, a crucial nutrient for the health of our immune systems. Even better, a single serving contains almost the entire daily recommended allowance.
- Citrus fruits. Oranges, lemons, limes, and other citrus all contain high amounts of vitamin C, giving a boost to the immune system and helping to ward off seasonal maladies like the common cold or the flu.
- Ginger and turmeric. These two spices have long-known and celebrated anti-inflammatory properties, helping the immune system to function better by reducing inflammation. They can also help with joint pain and arthritis.