It's that time of year again! Fall and winter time is the best for snuggling by the fire and sipping on warm cups of cocoa. There are a number of things you can do to prepare for maintaining your health and safety this winter!
- Older adults are more prone to getting hypothermia. So, remember, dressing warmly and staying dry is very important but so is eating healthy. Food gives us the fuel we need to stay healthy and warm.
- Cold air can affect anyone's skin, making it dry and painful to deal with. Cold air can also significantly affect seniors. This is why it is important to stay hydrated and moisturized, especially after washing your hands or showering. Be sure you are drinking lots of water, and installing humidifiers in the home helps to prevent respiratory infections.
- When prepping for the winter months ahead, be sure to check your doors and windows around the house to check for cracked seals. You might need to apply a fresh layer of caulk; with older windows, you can either use a plastic tarp, or get an insulation kit from your local home improvement store if you're in a hurry.
- Speak with your electric or gas companies to see whether you can be put on billing system which averages your electricity payments evenly over the course of 12 months. Your health and warmth is a priority, so try not to overdo your efforts to save money.
- Last but not least, don't forget to go get your flu shot! Individuals over the age of 65 are more at risk for serious complications from the flu. It is a recognized fact that our immune defenses become weaker as we age.
When the weather gets cooler, don't be afraid to reach out for help when the rain comes. Whether you ask a relative or neighbor, or hire a professional, your safety is the most important thing. Even though the winter can pose a challenge for seniors, with some preparation and awareness we can all remain healthy!
Do you need an extra hand around your home this holiday season? Contact us today at Senior Helpers for more information on how your loved one might benefit from in-home care.
Senior Helpers – Sacramento/Placer provides compassionate caregivers to help our local seniors with day-to-day tasks such as housekeeping, meal prep/planning, and transportation as well as providing assistance with bathing, dressing, medication reminders and more. Our mission is to improve the life of seniors and help relieve the burden on their families. If your loved one lives in Sacramento or the surrounding areas (Roseville/Rocklin, Folsom, Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove) and you would like more information, please call us at 916-671-5777 or Contact Us.