This week we look to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research for tips on making personal hygiene tasks easier when you have Parkinson’s Disease. Tremors and impairment of voluntary movement can make it challenging to complete basic personal care routines with the ease that most of us, not dealing with Parkinson’s, take for granted. The following tips may help one to perform their own personal care.
- Brush your teeth while listening to music. For some people with Parkinson's disease, music can help calm a resting tremor or break a freezing spell. Listening to music while brushing teeth can help you get into a rhythm that makes the movement easier.
- Invest in an electric toothbrush and shaver. While a bit pricier than manual toothbrushes, going electric can make teeth brushing much easier. Electric shavers are also simpler to use.
- Talk to your doctor or dentist about prescription toothpaste. Parkinson's disease medications can cause dry mouth, and one commenter said that a toothpaste his doctor recommended helps due to higher fluoride content.
- Sit while you brush or shave. Set up a mirror at chair level. Some find that balancing arms on a chair can also help with shaving as well as hair grooming and teeth brushing.
- Find a balance between maintaining independence and asking for help if you need it. The Michael J. Fox Foundation community reports that figuring out ways to complete a task on their own in a new way helps them stay sharp. At the same time, if you live with someone or have a caregiver, ask for help if you need it.
Senior Helpers of San Luis Obispo is currently assisting clients with Parkinson’s Disease and has launched a new Parkinson’s training program this year! If you would like to learn more about dependable in-home help for the elderly and the many benefits of professional senior care at home or dementia and Alzheimer’s care, call Senior Helpers of San Luis Obispo County to speak to a senior care specialist today 805-461-5892! The compassionate senior care specialists at Senior Helpers can also guide you through the process of receiving the Veterans Administration Aid and Attendance Benefit if your elderly loved one is a veteran. In-home senior care and in-home assisted living allows your loved one to stay in the comforts of their own home for as long as possible while receiving the level of care they need. Senior Helpers of San Luis Obispo County provides a wide range of services including Alzheimer’s and dementia care, personal assistance, companionship, and so much more to all areas of San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Atascadero, Arroyo Grande, Cambria, and surrounding areas.