Health Benefits of Senior Workout Plans
People naturally slow down and become more sedentary as we age. That's a natural part of the process. Some seniors are concerned about falls or injury, others might have balance or vision challenges, and still others might suffer from chronic pain.
A recent Swedish study suggests that physical activity is the number one contributor to longevity. In other words, older people who exercise almost always live longer, by years!
Additionally Staying Active is important because:
● Physical activity helps seniors manage their weight.
● Exercise helps to control blood sugar levels.
● Building endurance is essential for daily tasks (shopping, cooking, and bathing).
● It reduces the impact of chronic diseases like high blood pressure.
● Strength can improve bone density and reduce the risk of broken bones.
● Frequent movement and balance strength reduces the risk of falls, and reduce the impact of an injury after a fall overall.
● It will improve sleep, appetite, and digestion patterns.
It's important that seniors don't dive into any workout plan they find online. Some plans might be too intense. We've put together a few suggestions where to find good workouts for older individuals, but talk to your doctor first, and workout with a spotter, every time.
Staying active can benefit seniors physically and mentally. After you receive doctor approval, you’re ready to get moving! If you need help finding a place to start, here are some helpful resources:
● An introduction to Yoga for mature adults, published by AARP.
● Stay strong with Strength training at ElderGym.com
● And, if you have a Medicare Advantage plan, Silver Sneakers provides exercise videos and workout classes, both online and in-person, all over the US.
On Aging in Place with Senior Helpers in South Indianapolis
Senior Helpers Greenwood & South Indianapolis is the premier provider of in-home senior care and overnight care. We respect and admire your decision to age in place. We offer the highest quality in-home care services for older adults.
Our offerings range from companion care for folks who need daily assistance to in-depth specialized care for seniors with Dementia & Alzheimer's Disease, and more. We'd love to be your exercise spotter, too.
If you'd like to learn more about in-home care services in Indianapolis, Greenwood, Columbus, Franklin, Martinsville and Shelbyville (and all the neighborhoods in between) contact us.