Creating a beautiful outdoor space brings immense joy and relaxation to seniors and their caretakers. Incorporating plants into senior living enhances the visual appeal of the surroundings and provides a plethora of benefits, such as improved mental health, reduced stress levels, and enhanced cognitive function. Easy-to-grow, low-maintenance plants are ideal for busy caretakers and seniors looking for hassle-free gardening options. This blog post introduces a curated selection of flowering and non-flowering plants that thrive with minimal care and also shares practical tips on proper plant placement and basic maintenance routines.
Flowering Low-Maintenance Plants
Vibrant, colorful flowers add joy and beauty to a garden or any outdoor space. Below we've listed some flowering plants that require minimal care and thrive in various conditions.
- Lavender: These fragrant, purple flowers do not demand much attention. Lavender only needs watering once or twice weekly and thrives in full sunlight. As a bonus, these plants repel pests like mosquitoes and flies, making your garden even more enjoyable.
- Marigolds: The bright and cheery marigold blossoms give your garden visual appeal and also provide pest-repellent properties. They require moderate watering and do best in full sunlight. Plant them in well-draining soil, and they will add a burst of color to your outdoor space.
- Coneflowers: These daisy-like, low-maintenance flowers attract pollinators like butterflies and bees. Coneflowers tolerate drought and may survive with occasional watering. They prefer full sunlight but also tolerate partial shade.
- Yarrow: This hardy plant produces clusters of tiny flowers that add texture and color to your garden. Yarrow thrives in well-draining soil and does best with full sunlight. It also tolerates drought well. Additionally, yarrow resists most pests and diseases, making it a stress-free addition to your outdoor space.
Non-Flowering Low-Maintenance Plants
If you prefer a more subtle and calming atmosphere, non-flowering plants provide structure and beauty to your garden with minimal upkeep.
- Hostas: These shade-loving perennials give your garden a lush, green look. Hostas resist pests relatively well and only require occasional watering. However, watch out for slugs and snails, as they may cause damage to the leaves.
- Ferns: These low-maintenance plants thrive in shaded, moist areas. They require minimal attention and only need water when the soil feels dry. Ferns resist pests well, making them an excellent pick for a hassle-free garden.
- Succulents: These low-water plants come in various shapes, sizes, and colors, adding visual interest to any garden. Succulents require minimal watering and also grow well in containers. Place them in well-draining soil and provide them with ample sunlight.
- Ornamental grasses: Ornamental grasses require minimal care and add height and texture to your garden. They tolerate drought and thrive in various sunlight conditions, making them perfect for outdoor spaces.
Practical Tips for Creating a Low-Maintenance Outdoor Space
A balanced and attractivegarden requires proper planning and maintenance. We've listed a couple of practical tips to create a low-maintenance outdoor space that is both visually appealing and effortless to maintain:
- Proper plant placement: Consider the sunlight requirements of each plant and place them accordingly. Ensure adequate space between plants to avoid overcrowding and promote healthy growth.
- Basic maintenance routines: Stick to a regular watering schedule, adjusting it according to the specific needs of your plants. Prune and deadhead your plants as needed to promote new growth and keep them looking fresh. Keep an eye out for any pests, and take necessary measures to control them.
We Can Help
Incorporating low-maintenance plants into your senior loved ones' outdoor spaces can improve their mental well-being and offer a relaxing environment for them and their caretakers to enjoy. You'll create a beautiful and effortless garden by selecting easy-to-grow plants and following basic maintenance routines.
If you or a loved one need assistance with creating a beautiful, low-maintenance outdoor space in San Gabriel Valley, Arcadia, Pasadena, La Cañada Flintridge, or Covina, contact us at Senior Helpers San Gabriel Valley today