You may not realize it, but your home plays a role in your lung health. But how can you make your home healthier? Here are some easy, but important tips for healthy indoor air:
- Declare your home a smokefree zone. Never let anyone smoke indoors and ask smokers to go outside.
- Test your home for radon. Radon is an invisible gas that causes lung cancer and can be found in any home - new or old.
- Keep humidity levels under 50 percent. Use a dehumidifier or air conditioner as needed.
- Fix all leaks and drips. Standing water and high humidity increase the growth of mold and other pollutants.
- Control potential pests. Put away food, cover trash, and use baits to control pests such as rodents and roaches.
Like the lungs, your home needs to be able to breathe to make sure that fresh air comes in and dirty air goes out.