You've heard it a million times, the best medicine is a good night's sleep. But let's be real – how many family caregivers are actually getting enough sleep each night? Between kids, elderly loved ones, work, cleaning, and cooking there is hardly enough time for a little nap let alone a full night's rest.
While we know it can be very difficult to catch enough Z's each night, it really is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle. To help you or the caregiver in your life get more rest, Senior Helpers put together a quick list of do's and don'ts for sleep!
- DO take the time to rest. Set a bedtime and try your best to stick to it every night
- DON'T give us sleep to get more work done. You actually work half as well when tired, so it defeats the purpose.
- DO admit when you are tired and ask for help!
- DON'T try to do it all when you are tired. Many tasks (including driving) can be very dangerous when you are exhausted.
- DO turn off your phone at night and keep away from electronics.
- DON'T watch TV or play on your tablet before bed time. The light from the screen can actually stimulate your brain and make you stay up later.
What are some of your do's and don'ts for a good night's sleep? Share with us by commenting below or by sharing on our Facebook and Twitter pages!