As we are in the second week of June, the theme for this month is Celebrating Safety, and one of the biggest dangers to seniors wanting to stay in their homes is fall risk. Out of every ten falls, six happen in a home. While the risk of a fall isn't something seniors constantly think about at the times they are conducting their activities of daily living, there are simple precautions they can take to “fall-proof” their home and greatly increase their safety. Senior Helpers of San Luis Obispo County would like to share some of these with you and your loved ones!
1) Clear Pathways of tripping hazards: Pathways cluttered with small pieces of furniture, food and water bowls for pets, cords to electrical appliances and many other types of things which exist on or close to the ground can be big tripping hazards. In the areas around the house most trafficked, make sure walking paths are clear of all of these things.
2) Ensure that carpets are firmly secured to the stairs and flooring.
3) Avoid wet floor surfaces, and aim to clean up spills as soon as possible.
4) Improve lighting conditions: Make every room in the house is adequately lit, especially in entrances, outdoor walkways, and uneven surfaces such as tracks for sliding doors, steps, etc.
5) Have a lamp within an easy reaching distance from your bed, and install night lights in bathrooms, hallways, bedrooms, and the kitchen.
6) Install grab-bars in the bathtub/shower, and next to the toilet.
7) Install handrails on both sides of stairs and walkways.
8) You also may want to consider re-arranging items used most often in a way to make them more accessible.
If you have fallen, your doctor, home nurse, or physical therapist may have already suggested making changes like these. Following that advice and making these simple changes in your home can definitely help reduce fall-risk!
If you would like to learn more about dependable in-home help for the elderly and the many benefits of professional senior care at home or dementia and Alzheimer’s care, call Senior Helpers of San Luis Obispo County to speak to a senior care specialist today 805-470-1594! The compassionate senior care specialists at Senior Helpers can also guide you through the process of receiving the Veterans Administration Aid and Attendance Benefit if your elderly loved one is a veteran. In-home senior care and in-home assisted living allows your loved one to stay in the comforts of their own home for as long as possible while receiving the level of care they need. Senior Helpers of San Luis Obispo County provides a wide range of services including Alzheimer’s and dementia care, personal assistance, companionship, and so much more to all areas of San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Atascadero, Arroyo Grande, Cambria, and surrounding areas. Visit www.seniorhelpers.com/ca/san-luis-obispo for more information!