Posted on Jul 09, 2012
We found 5 more foods that help fight cancer. Click here to see the first 5 foods that we found. Some of these foods are fun to work into your diet and can add a bit of spice!
1. Walnuts: Nuts, like walnuts, contain the antioxidants quercetin and campferol that may suppress the growth of cancers. Walnuts also contain phytosterols (cholesterol-like molecules found in plants) have been shown to block estrogen receptors in breast cancer cells.
2. Red Wine: Red wine contains polyphenols, which are potent antioxidants that help neutralize disease-causing free radicals. Consumed in moderation, red wine might protect against various types of cancer.
3. Broccoli: Broccoli contains a sizable amount of sulforaphane, a particularly potent compound that boosts the body's protective enzymes and flushes out cancer-causing chemical. Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables (like cauliflower, cabbage, and kale) may help fight breast, liver, lung, prostate, skin, stomach, and bladder cancers.
4. Chili Peppers: Chili peppers contain a capsaicin, a chemical which may neutralize certain cancer-causing substances (nitrosamines). Adding chili peppers to your diet may reduce your risk for stomach cancer.
5. Flaxseed: Flax contains lignans, which may have an antioxidant effect and block or suppress cancerous changes. Flax, best in the form of oil or meal, may protect against breast, skin, and lung cancer. Flax is also high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are thought to protect against colon cancer and heart disease.